Is there a word like "moreover" commonly used in European (non-en_GB) languages?
I have noticed over the years that I only ever hear that word said by people for whom en_GB / en_US isn't their first language. Is it taught in school as common vernacular among the English?

I might give a better answer in a morning. But I can think of couple of them.

Russian has ктому же (ktomu zhe) according to my Russian wife

@popey Are they using it correctly? Because one reason it's uncommon in English is that the grammatical context it's meant for isn't that common.

@popey So... my instinct was kind of correct.

It appear that yeah. Mostly Slavic languages might be a source since they have most variants of it.

But don't take my word an 100% fact, I am just a polish philology bachelor musing online 😃

@popey It's common in many european languages. It's also more common in older or academic English. I also speculate that non-native speakers retain older forms more easily, and that they're taught a more formal language at first which can make their expressions a bit too formal. Moreover... 😀 I would say that people who are taught English as a second language at a university level are often taught academic English.

In German, 'darüber hinaus' means The same as moreover, and is in common use.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Ubuntu Social

This server was setup for the Ubuntu community to use.